Monday, September 13, 2010

Quiz, paper and assignments to come

The good news is that the quiz last Friday seemed to work, and everyone did just fine as well. Scores ranged from seven correct to nine. We'll have a quiz of 10 questions every Friday, as we finish each unit.

One of you asked for more direction on the Kindle paper, which is due Sept. 30. As mentioned in the syllabus, the paper needs to be 1,000 words (or more). One thousand words is about 2 1/2 to three pages, double spaced.

The paper should focus on the future of books. Does Kindle, or other ebooks, represent the future of reading, or will there always be a place for ink-on-paper books? Will the Guy Montag's of the future have actual paper books to burn when the dystopian police state decides it needs a mechanism to both pacify the public and control its access to information? Or will the state simply be able to transmit a virus via the Internet to everyone's ebook, scrubbing the text of all subversive ideas?

Feel free to ignore that pessimistic comment on the future. I'm not that pessimistic, actually. But I've still got Fahrenheit 451 on my mind due to my daughter's summer reading assignment. What I'm really looking for you to do is discuss the future of books. Will ebooks replace the printed page, or is there some shared role for the two formats to coexist in the future? I'd like to reference at least four sources, and two can be the articles I asked you to read in the initial Kindle post.

Interesting thoughts on the Daily Show clip about the way Fox presents the "news." One of you mentioned that all the shows do this to one degree or another. In fact, all journalists do this to a certain degree, choosing for instance which quote makes it into the story and which get the delete button. There is the question of whether any other network does its quite so brazenly as Fox. I'm not aware of any examples that bad, but if you know of some please share.

Look for another reading assignment from me by Wednesday. I'll be requiring responses from all of you, and expect a question or two from the reading to show up on the Friday quiz.

5 comments:

  1. I was just wondering when quiz scores are posted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..wondering where the quiz scores are posted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The computer should have told you your score when you completed the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look into the grading issue. My understanding was that it was supposed to tell you your grade. If you know how many you got right, you now your score. 9/10 is an A, 8/10 is a B and 7/10 is a C.

    I'll look into this Friday.

    ReplyDelete