Sunday, October 10, 2010

Quiz woes

I worked on the quiz issue on Friday, plus I received assistance from Swen on the help desk (I think he really was in Scandinavia judging by his accent which was a little tough to understand). I will work on it again on Monday. Hopefully I can get it set up properly and we'll be good to go.

Some of you have asked to have your quiz scores e-mailed to you. I have resisted doing this so far because it is potentially a violation of FERPA (Federal Education Records Protection Act). I'm hoping I can just get this grade book set up and you'll be able to access them on your own, and I won't get in trouble for sending grade information via e-mail. Sorry, I'm trying to get this fixed.

In the meantime, here's a link to one of my favorite poems. It's kind of funny, in a morbid sort of way.

4 comments:

  1. A little morbidly funny. So I think, althogh the boyfriend disagrees, its comical to me because besides the end of the poem, its what more offen then not happens to people before they get to know eachother. Maybe thats why they burnt the hotel motel down. Its funny also because maybe just maybe they died happy, and in their sleep? how offten does that happen? Any way the moral delema of human race, jump in bed and die. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Tennessee Williams was an American playwright, I didn't know he wrote poetry too. This read is as gritty as many of his plays. Thasnks for sharing. Please post more..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it’s a little morbid, but it happens to someone everyday, that feeling you get from having a one night stand. You might be feeling satisfied, uncomfortable, disgusted, disappointed and sick all at the same time. Trying to make conversation at a time when your emotions are all over the place is hard for anyone. Lighting a cigarette, falling asleep and burning alive might be a lot like, regretting your choices and dying on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's just me but: The motel room, two strangers get it on, the cigarette in bed, and then falling asleep with a lit cigarette, seem to leave an empty hole in the poem that maybe should mention wine or whiskey being involved. Either way I like Rebecca's thought on it very much. Yet I can't help but think a little bit of good loving and a life story exchange, might not be such a bad way to accidentally cash out. I don't think the characters were sad and disgusted at the time. I think the endorphins after bed together brought closeness but then as endorphine levels wore off the tiredness of the physical activity most definitely kicks in, but yet the feeling of complete trust from the union is still there, leaving both persons illogically unconcerned about that damn cigarette. So maybe they really did die happy in the moment.

    ReplyDelete