Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chapter Three

This week we embark on a fairly important chapter, media economics. While there was a bit of economic discussion in chapter 1, the rubber meets the road in chapter three. Read the chapter and then take a look at the PowerPoint I prepared. Be forewarned, the PowerPoint for this chapter is only loosely linked to the text, and represents the kind of get-on-my-soapbox rant I occasionally unload on my face-to-face classrooms.

I'd apologize, but I actually think this stuff is really important. Good newspapers (or TV or radio or online) that do real journalism are really a key part of maintaining a healthy, thriving nation. But there isn't much good journalism left. Instead we're left with a lot of nonsense such as this:

Media ignores the news to focus on manufactured conflict.

Another sad commentary on the state of American media. The Washington press corps, the elite of the journalistic elite, lobbing 23 questions about a faux controversy about when the president would speak, and only nine about what he intended to speak about. Whether you love the president, or hate him, or if you fall somewhere in between, I think you'd all agree that since he wanted to talk about his proposal to create jobs, while we are in the midst of the worst unemployment crisis since the Great Depression, that the substance of his speech should matter to these knuckleheads.

I suspect contemporary media economics has something to do with this dumbing down of our discourse (to the degree that we allow it to continue, we share some blame). That's my theory at least. You may agree, or disagree. If you are so moved to share, I'd like to hear about. Do worry about offending me with contrary opinions. I love the debate.

Look for more from me on chapter three tomorrow. I have the day off (thank God I'm not counting on a government to get it right and actually pass something that will boost employment) so I will share some additional readings with you then.

2 comments:

  1. Media and their practice of journalism can be very discouraging indeed. Thank God we have Colbert and Stewart to point out the complete ineptitude of our media! Controversy sells, and the media conglomerates are all too happy to oblige. If it isn't controversy, it's deliberate partisanship, on behalf of the media. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get news that matters, that isn't tainted by preconceived notions or biases. Even worse, the media seems very eager to create controversy where there is none, hoping to pit one interest versus another, regardless of the actual importance of their "story".

    ReplyDelete